Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Hell in a handbasket.

I just read on the cnn ticker tape that the sick bastard Joseph Duncan stalked the Groene family for several days after seeing their little girl playing out in her front yard in a bathing suit. That makes my fucking skin crawl. What kind of insane world do we live in where beautiful, innocent angels can't even be safe in their own yard?!

I often think back to my childhood in the late 70's and early 80's when my sister and I would leave the house at 9am wearing a bathing suit, flip flops, and a towel wrapped around our necks and peddle up to the park on our own. We'd hang out there until we got hungry or someone skinned a knee; those being the only reasons to head home before the street lights came on. I mourn for those days of safety, security, and fearlessness. We knew not to talk to strangers but it wasn't the social obsession it is now - Stranger Danger!! Be Careful - Be Scared!!

My hugest, #1 fear in life is losing one of my babies. I have nightmares about one of them being snatched from the park or a store and it is a rare occasion that I let them out of my sight. When we go to the grocery store Nolan has to sit in the kid basket on the cart and the other two have to stay right beside me (not behind me because I don't have eyes in the back of my head - but shh, don't tell them that). I don't know what I'll do when he's too big to sit in the cart.

At the water park we go to, the water play area is fenced in with chainlink and there is a grassy area around it for families to set up a blanket and have lunch etc. There's no fucking way I'm sitting where my children are out of my sight range. Someone might steal them! I must SEE them! I sit on the bench INSIDE the play area while they're playing. I also scope out the other adults at the park for random males without children - and, of course, give the eye to anyone suspicious-looking.

My husband says I need to 'cut the cord' becuase Haden is almost 11 and should be allowed a little more freedom, plus I'm a freak.

Um, hellooo...I'm TOTALLY a freak - and proud of it.

Apparently, and sadly enough, I'm justified.


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com