Tuesday, September 06, 2005

God Bless School

I sit here on Tuesday, the blessed day after Labour Day, enjoying my morning coffee and trembling with anticipation. This is going to be the last late-start, quiet, relaxing morning before the true chaos that is The School Day begins.

They start today at 11am and only go for an hour. I'm not really certain what is the point of this short day. Counting heads? Tease the parents mercilessly? An hour is a small taste of freedom, but I'll take what I can get.

My bright, beautiful, smart and cheeky children have been the source of endless fun and amusement this summer...along with the headaches and pains-in-asses that go along with any extended vacation. At times it feels like a cage match but thank goodness those days are few (but I can't say '...and far between'. The moms know what I'm talkin' 'bout.)

My baby starts Preschool this year, which is a little bittersweet for Mommy. On one hand, being my last baby, I want him to be mine forever. I wish I didn't ever have to share him with the world but at the same time, I am so excited for him and this new adventure he is about to embark on. He has never been to daycare and only plays with his brother and sister, who are much older. My nephew is a year older than he is, but they don't exactly hang out every day so this peer age, group play thing is all new to him. He is SO excited!

I should also mention, my daughter has her very first shiner just in time for the first day of school. While it may appear that way, no, we don't beat her. The kids were having a pillow fight and the neighbour boy whacked her and sent her flying into the computer tower. Her left eye is nice and purple and, along with her newly missing bottom tooth, she looks like a seven year old boxer.

If we can get through this first day with the school calling Social Services about 'suspected abuse', it'll be a good day...


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com